DELTA DENTAL OF SOUTH CAROLINA AWARDS OVER $210,000 IN ORAL HEALTH GRANTS TO AID INDIVIDUALS IN NEED
Organization Contributed $861,000 to Community Outreach Initiatives in 2020
COLUMBIA, S.C. (Dec. 21, 2020) … To help meet the dental health needs of children and adults throughout the state, Delta Dental of South Carolina – a leading dental benefits provider – announced it recently awarded over $210,000 to support oral health initiatives, educational programs and charitable causes in South Carolina. The oral health grant funding is part of the non-profit company’s annual Mission Giving Program, which has contributed $861,000 in support of community outreach initiatives in 2020.
“During this especially challenging year, so many of our neighbors are facing tremendous hardships,” said Rob Goren, president and chief executive officer at Delta Dental of South Carolina. “Helping them access vital dental care is even more critical. Supporting organizations that align with our mission to improve oral health is one of the many ways we can help meet the needs of those in the communities we serve.”
Delta Dental of South Carolina awarded $210,700 in oral health grant funding to the following South Carolina organizations:
- Greenville Tech Foundation (Greenville) – received $67,100 to help renovate its dental assisting clinic to improve the teaching and learning environment and provide a seamless transition to community dental offices where graduates will be employed.
- Healthy Smiles of Spartanburg (Spartanburg) – received $43,800 to provide free preventive and restorative treatment for uninsured children from families with low incomes.
- Our Lady of Community Outreach (Johns Island) – received $30,000 to provide free dental care in rural and urban communities through dental clinics serving residents with low incomes in James, Johns and Wadmalaw Islands.
- Helping Hands of Georgetown (Georgetown) – received $30,000 to provide dental care through its free dental clinic to individuals who are experiencing chronic or situational poverty.
- United Way of Midlands (Columbia) – received $22,300 to provide free comprehensive dental services to uninsured and underinsured children and adults with incomes of 200% or less of the federal poverty level.
- Providence Home (Columbia) – received $10,000 to provide dental care to homeless men to assist them on their journey to good health and self-sufficiency.
- Mercy Medicine Free Clinic (Florence) – received $7,500 to provide free dental care to uninsured adults and those with low incomes.
In 2020, Delta Dental of South Carolina’s total charitable contributions also included:
- $272,400 in funding as part of its first oral health grant cycle of the year.
- $250,000 to non-profit organizations providing COVID-19 relief efforts in South Carolina.
- $15,000 for the Dental Lifeline Network’s (DLN) Lifeline Heroes Challenge for Veterans campaign in South Carolina.
- Funding for the launch of Delta Dental of South Carolina’s new virtual Land of Smiles® educational experience in response to the continuing impact of COVID-19, which reached 34,007 children in 130 South Carolina schools since October.
- Donations and free dental care supplies given to charitable and community organizations in South Carolina, to help improve the oral health and overall health of residents.
Applications for Delta Dental of South Carolina’s first grant cycle of its 2021 Oral Health Grant Program are now being accepted. To be eligible for oral health grants from Delta Dental of South Carolina, applicants must first complete a letter of inquiry through the online application system at https://www.deltadentalsc.com/AboutUs/oral-health-grant-program, which includes program guidelines and application instructions. Online letters of inquiry are due on Friday, March 12, 2021, and online applications are due on Wednesday, March 24, 2021. Applicants must be considered tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or be a public or governmental entity, such as a public school or health department, and serve the people of South Carolina.
Delta Dental of South Carolina is a trade name of Delta Dental of Missouri, a dental benefits provider and a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization, which operates in South Carolina under that name. It provides more than 338,000 members in South Carolina with access to affordable, high-quality dental care through group plans tailored to meet the needs of organizations of all sizes, from large corporations to small businesses with two or more employees. Delta Dental also offers dental benefit plans directly to individuals and families. The company proudly supports oral health initiatives, educational programs and charitable causes that help educate people about the importance of dental health and provide free dental care to those in need. It also created the South Carolina Dental Care Resource Guide to help individuals access information about low-cost and free dental care options in their area—available online at https://www.DeltaDentalSC.com/ResourceGuide1. To learn more about the company, visit www.DeltaDentalSC.com.